This weather has been freaking me out. People are running around in shorts going “Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!” when they KNOW it’s not right. Some things in nature just are not right. If it were bright and sunny at 2:00 in the morning, you would not be running around going “Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!”; you would be running around yelling “Holy God shit fuck we are all going to die!”
Okay, it’s not the same thing, exactly. But the fact that I had a Hawaiian shirt and light sweater on at school today is freaky to me.
When I get freaked out by the present, it sometimes helps me to look towards the past. I found a handful of reports of unseasonable warm weather in Ann Arbor from back in the day!
- 1878 reported buds were opening
- 1897 a clothier was practically giving its coats away because it was so warm in December
- 1880 said that there was some weird shit going down with the bees, because of warm weather in January and February
- 1886 had another clothier begging us to buy coats even though it was very warm in January
- 1876 reported 70 degrees on Christmas and 64 on New Year’s Day
So maybe it’s not as scary as bright sun in the middle of the night. And maybe this has all happened before. It still isn’t quite right to me….